Monday, January 26, 2015

The Four Big Books

Asking for information on Linear Warfare and Grand Tactics in the 18th Century (the "Flintlock Musket and Socket Bayonet Era"), I've had four books recommended to me, again and again. This is a list of those four books, blog-style.

I'm not going to list them chronologically, I'm listing them in the order that I'm reading them this year, 2015. I think it's a useful order, and anyway it's working for me.

Nosworthy, Brent. (The) Anatomy of Victory: Battle Tactics 1689 - 1763. New York: Hippocrene, 1990

This is the basic book for understanding units, formations, distances, frontages, strategies, tactics, linear warfare, grand tactics, theory, practice, etc. What formations did the troops take and how did they maneuver in those formations? How practical were various formations and what were the typical elements and their battlefield missions? This is the book which opened up the understanding of 18th Century deployment and maneuver for me.

There should be a Wikipedia page for Brent Nosworthy and for Anatomy of Victory, for the amount of times the book can be cited to clarify specifics as to formations and tactics. I should fix that.


Out of print. Pricey, but essential. Wait for a sale.

Duffy, Christopher. The Military Life of Frederick the Great. New York: Atheneum, 1985.

This is the book for understanding the campaign and the battle, linear warfare as it was actually practiced, the operational strategy of the period, and some of the key personalities and forces of the era. Christopher Duffy has written extensively on the era, and this book is considered a classic tome. I'm finding it a fascinating read as well. Duffy knows his material and his sources well, and weaves a tale of a man destined to a duty almost beyond him, a strange and enigmatic figure of an ancient sort of martial nobility. I have a copy from the public library. It's on the Short List of Books to Buy.

Probably also OOP, and pricey. Equally essential.

Showalter, Dennis. Frederick the Great: A Military History. London(?): Frontline, 2012.

This is also one of the most highly-recommended books, and it will be nice to get an updated view of Duffy's 1985 book. I just got this from the library (through ILL), and I'll read it right after I finish the SYW chapter in TMLoFtG. I only have it for a month, but this book is also on the Short List.

Recent, available and reasonable? And what a dust jacket! I finally get the reference!


Duffy, Cristopher. The Military Experience in the Age of Reason. London: Routledge, 1987.

After reading two accounts of the campaigns of Frederick the Great, I think it'll be good to also read about the daily lives of the soldiers, troopers and commanders who fought these wars, to truly understand the nature of the period and the conflict. I'll read this last. Acquired.

Available at a reasonable price in trade.

And those, Gentle Readers are the Four Big Books that I'll be reading in 2015.

Progress thus far? I've read in AoV right up through the start of the SYW, and I've read in TMLoFtG up to the end of the SYW chapter, now I'll read FtG: AMH entirely, then I'll finish AoV, then I'll finish TMLoFtG, then I'll read TMEitAoR, which I had just barely started when all of these other books arrived.

Reviews and impressions to follow. And thanks to those who recommended these books.


4 comments:

  1. Perhaps I'm losing my mind (I am a senior after all) but I count two books mentioned, not the four books of the post's title. Am I missing something?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jeff, I updated when I meant to save, and published at half-draft. It's done now though, and there are four, I assure you.

    Wrong virtual button syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a tip, the term Grand Tactics is really a Napoleonic one.
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/241449/grand-tactics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that tip.

    My familiarity with the term suggests that it has subsequently been used to describe the operational level of warfare, and has been applied to conflicts farther in the past, in some cases even those of the Pre-Gunpowder Era,

    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1087282?sid=21105249435811&uid=4&uid=3739256&uid=2&uid=3739856

    ReplyDelete